Upper Description

I'm a woodworker and a leather artist/crafter. Photography and astronomy are my passions.

I'm descended from the Shawnee Chief Cornstalk who was killed in 1777.

I am also of Scots-Irish descent and VERY proud of my heritage and my culture. I do not apologize for my culture, nor am I "politically correct", and do not tolerate others who think that it is a necessity to be so.

Visit my Etsy site at: http://aeryckdesade.etsy.com

http://aeryckdesade.com

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Proposed Monument Honoring Union Soldiers at Florida’s Olustee Battlefield Sparks Outrage

Last night in Lake City, FL, was the meeting over the proposed "Special Union Monument" at the Olustee Battlefield, site of the largest Civil War skirmish in the state of Florida. Descendents of Confederates who fought for the South's independence were heard, as well as the issues of how this land was donated to the state by the UDC as a trust to keep it as it was meant to be, a memorial to the Confederates who fought and died, at the hand of the Union invaders.

At one point of the hearing, a black Confederate soldier ancestor, a man by the name of H.K. Edgerton raised his Confederate flag and started the tune of Dixie!

     "Passions ran high, at one point erupting in a spontaneous chorus of “Dixie” led by a black man, H.K. Edgerton, who called Union soldiers rapists and wielded his large Confederate flag like a conductor’s baton as the audience sang."

Some points to consider about this proposed monument are such ones as the idea of putting a monument to terrorists at the site of the Twin Towers, or to erect a monument to the bombers in Pearl Harbor that killed American troops. Why would anyone want to honor the invaders and murderers of their ancestors, especially at such a place as a large battle as this?


http://flaglerlive.com/61564/olustee-battlefield

No comments: