Upper Description

I'm a woodworker and a leather artist/crafter. Photography and astronomy are my passions.

I'm descended from the Shawnee Chief Cornstalk who was killed in 1777.

I am also of Scots-Irish descent and VERY proud of my heritage and my culture. I do not apologize for my culture, nor am I "politically correct", and do not tolerate others who think that it is a necessity to be so.

Visit my Etsy site at: http://aeryckdesade.etsy.com

http://aeryckdesade.com

Friday, December 16, 2011

Family history, random musings, and the Mothman

A lot has been happening as of late, therefore I seem to have less and less time to actually post anything here, and spend more time on Facebook and the like. I've recently been adding to my tattoo collection, hehe.  Also, I've been very focused on creating more leather bags for sale, mainly a lot of personal designs, but also a lot of designs for reenactors and costume based bags with a historical design.

I came across this site recently that I found quite interesting:
Shawnee Chief Cornstalk Grave and Historical Marker

I'm glad to have stumbled upon it, since he was my GGGGG-Grandfather (father of Rachel, who married my GGGG-Grandfather Hezekiah Whitt).  He has quite a history and even the "Mothman" legend is associated with his curse upon Point Pleasant, West Virginia, although I'd likely believe that he uttered a curse upon those who betrayed and killed him, but not necessarily the reasons for the "Mothman".

This year will mark the third Christmas since my dad has passed away, also, adding to that also another years since my grandmother's passing.  Each year gets a little more distant, I guess, but not really easier.  I still find myself dreaming about them a lot, and think about them pretty much daily.  We've been wedding planning for the past few months, though, and that helps to brighten most everything, as I see that there is a future where the past has since slipped away.  We have our own house and a wonderful life together, free and clear of any overhead and worries as far as that may be concerned.  So, in general, all is well, I suppose.

I've become even more active as of late with some of the historical groups, such as the Sons of Confederate Veterans and other upkeep groups involving history and my heritage.  My cousin has recently come out with a second edition of his book about my Confederate veteran GG-Grandfather David Crockett Whitt, and it is a great book!  It has stories that I remember hearing about when I was growing up.  He also has several other books, based upon our relatives and other such things of interest.  Be sure to check them out via the family website at http://www.dahnmonwhittfamily.com You can also find his books on Amazon, but the best way is to get a signed copy directly from the website I just listed.

My Great-Great Grandfather David Crockett Whitt, 29th Virginia Infantry, Company "H", Confederate Soldier. 1836-1909

No comments: